Pages

Nov 20, 2017

The 40 Years of Comics Project - Day 999: Web of Spider-Man Annual #4, 1988

https://www.comics.org/issue/1027927/

I came home from work today and my son pointed at the comic sitting on the table. This comic. He said he'd been intrigued by the cover, and picked it up to have a look. And he then noted that the scene on the cover doesn't, in fact, even close to occur in the comic, and that The Slug, this wild new villain, appears on literally three pages in the whole comic.

Basically, this comic was just an excuse to let Steve Gerber tell one of his trademark weird Man-Thing stories that just happened to guest star Spider-Man. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. This issue comes out at the same time that Gerber has come back for his second go at Man-Thing. There's a serial that ran in the first volume of Marvel Comics Presents, and this story follows it. The nice thing about Man-Thing, when handled right, is that he's basically the background of the story - but because he's such a volatile and nigh-indestructible background, he manages to flavour the story in very specific ways. I love it.

I'll not say too much more about this issue, as I think I have some things I should say about it for my extremely delayed look at Gerber's work that I'm doing for Sequart. Suffice to say, I enjoyed this one more than any of the other annuals in this crossover thus far.

Tomorrow, a break for an auspicious occasion.

To be continued.

No comments: