Pages

Nov 23, 2017

The 40 Years of Comics Project - Day 1002: The Avengers Annual #17, 1988

https://www.comics.org/issue/43883/

Finally.

I can't say that The Evolutionary War was my favourite crossover, though I guess it's far from my least favourite. What that least favourite might me, I'm not sure.

An ad hoc team of Avengers is assembled by the abandoned computers on Hydrobase, and this hastily assembled team takes on and defeats the High Evolutionary. Unfortunately, because the story wasn't really told as a sequential piece, the stakes really didn't seem too high. There was no real build-up of drama and suspense - each chapter was just another adventure with the same person as the antagonist, but they lacked the continuity to make the tale compelling.

Ah well. Tomorrow, we'll get back to Simonson's run on Avengers, and then I think I might just grab random handfuls of comics and read those. Or perhaps another theme week or two. I just picked up some cool, old Charlton horror comics....

To be continued.

No comments: