Pages

Aug 7, 2017

The 40 Years of Comics Project - Day 894: Avengers v.1 #230, April 1983

https://www.comics.org/issue/1617412/

I was talking with my son yesterday about Grant Morrison's run on Doom Patrol, and how a couple of stories in that run fit into the overarching conceit of the series at a whole. Trying to figure out "Crawling from the Wreckage" was interesting because, in a lot of ways, it doesn't fit the celebration of weirdness that is the rest of the series (we couldn't figure out the Red Jack story, either, but we're going to keep thinking about it, I'm sure). One thing I suggested is that the story is a bridge of sorts, to take the characters from the C-grade superhero adventures of their previous 18 issues back into the hyper-strangeness that's characterized the team from the very beginning. There's more to the story than that, but in any ongoing series that switches writers without a significant publishing break, these kinds of bridge stories are vital.

Today's issue marks what I think is the end of Roger Stern and Al Milgrom's bridge story from the previous run on the series. The issues surrounding Hank Pym's trial have been ameliorated, Pym himself, a problematic character for many years, departs, Monica Rambeau/Captain Marvel is firmly ensconced as our focal character, and things look set to move ahead. This was a good story, though likely would have been more resonant for me if I'd read the previous run of comics. But I didn't, and I have to say I'm happy to move on to see what Mr. Stern provides, unencumbered by the plot threads of the past.

Though today's comic also re-introduces Starfox, who becomes a regular member of the Avengers shortly. He's a very, very, difficult character, whose powers basically make him a living date-rape drug. I anticipate problems.

To be continued.

No comments: