Pages

Aug 2, 2017

The 40 Years of Comics Project - Day 889: Avengers v.1 #191, January 1980

https://www.comics.org/issue/868784/

I've never really understood the Grey Gargoyle. I mean, I understand his powers (mainly because he takes the time to explain his entire back story to a terrified woman whose apartment he destroys in today's issue), but I've never understood how it is that he's considered so powerful. For those not in the know, his power is this: his right had turns anything to stone for 1 hour. But if he touches himself (insert joke here) he is coated with a flexible epidermis and gains super strength. The bit I don't understand is how this helps him take down the entire team of Avengers. I'm talking Ms. Marvel, Captain America, Iron Man. It just doesn't seem possible to me - which, I know, is a hilarious thing to say about a superhero comic. I get that it's a dramatic thing, but when you've got so many people with distance based powers, this dude should be easy.

One last issue in which Mr. Stern is plotter tomorrow, and then we'll head on into his run as writer proper. It's kind of exciting. I'm trying to remember if I've actually read his run all the way through. I'm sure I must have, but it was long enough ago that I don't remember it all. Except that we're going to have to deal with the ever-so-slightly-rapey Starfox for a while.

To be continued.

No comments: