Pages

Jun 4, 2017

The 40 Years of Comics Project - Day 830: Wonder Woman #213, August-September 1974

https://www.comics.org/issue/27624/

Sooo.....I saw Wonder Woman today.

It was glorious. I had some doubts about Gal Gadot in that role, especially not having seen her in Batman v Superman appearance. But she's Wonder Woman. Simple as that. Go see it. You won't be sorry.

So of course I'm going to read a Wonder Woman comic today. This is the oldest one in my collection. I actually have very few Wonder Woman comics, I'm ashamed to admit, though I've had numerous runs on her title recommended to me by numerous friends.

Today's comic is a report by the Flash on a mission Wonder Woman performs in order to rejoin the Justice League. I don't know what the circumstances behind her leaving the JLA were (perhaps that weird, de-powered phase she went through), but this is the only time I've ever heard of someone having to prove themselves in order to rejoin. The most troubling bit is that the Flash is actually invisibly watching her the entire time, and doesn't think to lend a hand at all. Though, as we find out later in the issue, he wouldn't have been able to anyway. The world is enshrouded with a pacifism ray, ceasing all war and violence. Though it sounds wonderful, the problem is that people are no longer able to stand up against natural disasters. No violent action whatsoever is allowed by the ray, except in the case of Wonder Woman and two random strangers who, due to freak circumstances, are rendered immune.

There's a nice moment in this comic that I found resonated into the new filmic version of the character. Invited to a council meeting to decide what to do about the worldwide pacifism epidemic, Diana slips out (in my mind, shaking her head) and decides that she can take care of this herself, rather that sitting around and waiting for a bunch of men to debate plans of action. Which, of course, she does.

I'm thinking a week of Wonder Woman is in order, in celebration of this too-long coming movie.

To be continued.

No comments: