Pages

May 11, 2017

The 40 Years of Comics Project - The Weekly Graphic Novel: Week 45 - Post Script v.3, 2011

http://www.postscriptcomic.com/

At last year's Calgary Expo, I picked up the first volume of this excellent series, and I was overjoyed to see that Mr. Moogk-Soulis was at this year's con so I could keep up with the after-tale adventures of this motley crew.

Much of this volume is dedicated to a retelling, after the fact, of the story of the Three Little Pigs, starring one of my favourite characters from the previous book, Sisyphus. Sisyphus is one of the pigs, and his dislike of his two brothers coupled with his predilection for bacon makes for, as I noted in my previous review, a story that looks somewhat adorable, but is actually really quite chilling. But, y'know, pleasantly so.

Though I had hoped for some further development of characters from the previous book (the Prince is nowhere to be found in this volume), what we really get is more development of the world within which Graham and his compatriots are telling their stories. There were at least four more volumes of the series on display at the con, so I can't help but wonder if much of the world-building that takes place in this volume sets up more complex stories later on. Though, if that's not the case, and what the next volumes do is simply to tell short, smart, funny stories like this one does, the series will still be every bit as rewarding. I think what I'm getting at is that at this point in the series, three volumes in, the setting and characters are cemented enough to start demonstrating a number of potential routes for future development.

With any luck, I'll be able to get up to the Edmonton con and, should the Post Script team be about, I'll be able to find out which route gets taken.

Onward.

No comments: