Pages

May 22, 2017

The 40 Years of Comics Project - Day 817: Iron Man #117, December 1978

https://www.comics.org/issue/32859/

Writing this post is actually the first time I've see this cover. The copy of this comic that I have is missing the cover, so my first experience of it is seeing Tony Stark, mustachio'd and smoking jacketed (it's the 70s) getting his brain splattered all over a curtain.

Don't worry. It's an LMD. Which kind of makes Aida's behaviour in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. seem a bit more justified.

Not a bad comic today, though, with a very brief flashback exception, this comic, like yesterday's, features Stark encased in the Iron Man armour constantly. I'm feeling a little adrift due to my severe lack of exposure to Iron Man comics, and whether or not this was a regular thing with the title through the 70s. In the Avengers titles I've read with Iron Man in them, he doesn't spend quite an equal amount of time as Stark, but there's definitely moments where it's important for him to be out of his armour. You have to have this for superhero comics - the secret identity doesn't just work to protect the fictional loved ones, but also to link the superhuman to the human. Stark needs to step out of the armour occasionally, or we just begin to see him as a robot, not a person.

There's going to be quite a leap in time for tomorrow's issue, and I think it may actually skip right over the famous "Demon in a Bottle" storyline. I noticed in today's issue, Tony has a couple of drinks, so this is definitely pre-alcoholism. The next issue is from 1984, probably post. But I'll be interested to see if the influence of a story that so very fundamentally revolves around the man, rather than the iron man, has placed the man a little more in the spotlight of the title.

To be continued.

No comments: