Pages

May 15, 2017

The 40 Years of Comics Project - Day 810: Archie's Girls Betty and Veronica #237, September 1975

https://www.comics.org/issue/222298/

One of the worst things about recovering from my nose surgery, which I've probably mentioned, is that allergy season started literally the day after. I haven't had a decent night's sleep in about 3 weeks, and it's starting to wear on me. That's probably why I'm going to be so harsh on today's comic. Just so you're warned.

In the story "Club Pro," Betty decides to take a golf elective at school in order to be around Archie. At one point, after finding out she has absolutely no facility for the sport, her mother gives her some advice, which Betty articulates thus: "Mumsy taught me the natural way!...Think of something I'm used to --- feel comfortable with --- gonna clean the rug --- grab the ol' vacuum! Hands fall right into place --- so natural ---." At which point she becomes the best shot in the class.

Because vacuuming and mopping the floor (another activity she uses to become a good golfer) are "natural" for her.

Jesus. Fucking. Christ.

To be continued.

No comments: