Pages

May 6, 2017

The 40 Years of Comics Project - Day 801: Spacepig Hamadeus and the Captive Planet, 2016

http://spacepighamadeus.com/

Where to begin? The main story begins with Hamadeus having lost his memory after his crash landing, but this proves fortuitous in that he's captured and sent to a gladiatorial arena in which he meets a couple of powerful allies. Where, as I've said previously, the interior work is taking its cues from old school movie serials, today's comic's cover is a callback to the old Gold Key painted covers from the 50s and 60s. In the production blog for the comic, Mr. Yaciuk notes that that was often the best part of the comic, and I have to agree. I don't have a lot of Gold Key stuff in my collection, but what I do have often promises one thing on the cover and delivers something not quite as fabulous inside.

Such is not the case with this issue of Spacepig though. Not only is there the main story (which leaves us on a cliffhanger again!), but a tribute to the old Marvel monster comics of the 50s, and a couple of backup stories set in the Spacepig universe, one of which is illustrated by James Zintel, whose Spacesquatch is one of the coolest, weirdest comics I've read.

But now the wait is on. The next Spacepig comic isn't scheduled to be out until next year, and with both Tremb'axx and the Intergalactic Crime League after Ham and his comrades, it's going to be a long one. I suppose it's a good thing I've got a lot of comics to keep me company in the intervening months.

To be continued.

No comments: