Pages

Apr 5, 2017

The 40 Years of Comics Project - Day 770: Alpha Flight v.1 #27, October 1985

https://www.comics.org/issue/40532/

Wait! What?! Guardian was an imposter? It's actually the robot Delphine Courtney? And Omega Flight have taken out most of Alpha? I guess you can miss a lot in those 20-odd pages from last month. Well, except that, as I predicted, the Marvel summary machine works very well, so I don't feel lost at all!

We get to see, today, the inside of Shaman's medicine pouch, which looks very much like Byrne doing his best Steve Ditko Dr. Strange impression. Byrne, in a lot of ways, combines features of the two major Marvel originary artists, Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko, so it's appropriate to see something of an homage to him in this issue. I'd have liked to see more, but the needs of the story, apparently, override my desire for psychedelia! Who knew?

Sorry, I'm in quite a bit of pain today, and I can't really think of much more to say. We'll keep on with the Alphans for the time being, and we'll make some headway into Doug Moench's run on the series, though not in quite so coherent a fashion as Byrne's.

To be continued.

No comments: