Pages

Feb 24, 2017

The 40 Years of Comics Project - Day 730: Bold Adventure #1, November 1983

https://www.comics.org/issue/37976/

And so Year 2 comes to a close! It's been an interesting year. I've read some really great comics, and a few really, really terrible ones. Re-reading Morrison's Batman was a lovely treat, and I really can't wait to see what I get up to over the next 365 days.

Today's comic is a bit of nostalgia for me, even though it was one of the comics that was part of my quarter bin buy a few weeks ago. I first came across Bold Adventure #1 (though I mistook the title for "Time Force") back in the earliest days of my collecting. When I first got into comics, my parents went out and bought me a comic collecting kit. It included a box, which was somewhere between standard short and long box size, a price guide, and a package of 20 or so comics. I can't for the life of me remember what most of them were, though it seems to me they were generally from indie publishers from the 80s. I do, however, remember this comic, and if I'm to be honest, it was probably because my pre-pubescent brain was fascinated by the very prominent breasts on the cover. I wish I could say I've changed...

The stories inside are pretty neat, all penned by Bill DuBay. There's a bit of science fiction, a bit of adventure, and what is potentially a horror tale in the final short piece entitled "The Weirdling." I was a little confused by the "Time Force" story, as it ends quite suddenly with the death of the main character and the triumph of the bad guy, and with no "to be continued." At first I thought it was quite a gutsy move, to give so much set up and then have all the hope one invests come to naught. But it turns out the story does continue in the next issue, so perhaps all hope is not lost. Perhaps.

Tomorrow begins Year 3. I'll be reading the oldest comic in my collection as a way of kicking off the year, and then I've got a bit of a theme planned for the first couple of weeks. I hope you've enjoyed Year 2, or some of it anyway. I know I have.

To be continued.

No comments: