Pages

Feb 4, 2017

The 40 Years of Comics Project - Day 710: 3-D Alien Terror #1, June 1986

https://www.comics.org/issue/300765/

Reading this first thing in the morning may not have been my best idea ever. Not that the stories were bad at all. But trying to get sleep-fogged eyes to focus on that red/blue 3D effect is slightly nauseating. Not a good combination with breakfast.

Once I got over that, however, the stories were awesome. The lead is a cool little send-up of EC Comics and The Twilight Zone that was just wonderful. The next story, 3 pages, was utterly fucking chilling. And the two that round out the collection were nicely creepy. The horror and sci-fi stuff coming out of Eclipse at this time, mostly from the pen of Bruce Jones, was amazing. I love all the titles he produced for them, and I'll definitely go out of my way to get them. I was very lucky that this one showed up in my quarter bin haul.

If you're looking for a nice collection of horror and science fiction short stories, Jones' Twisted Tales, Twisted Tales of Bruce Jones, and Alien Worlds are really and truly excellent.

To be continued.
(I'm trying out something new.)

No comments: