Pages

Jan 28, 2017

The 40 Years of Comics Project - Day 703: Phantom Quest Corp. #1, March 1997

http://www.comics.org/issue/353515/

In my admittedly limited experience with manga, I've found that there's two schools of thought when it comes to narrative. One is to hit you over the head with so much stuff so very quickly that you can't keep track of who's who and what's what, and the other is the slow burn. Though today's comic is comedic and adapted from anime, it takes the route of the slow burn. Manga, again in my experience, is a long haul kind of storytelling, so to spend an entire issue basically opening mail (seriously, that's what the main character does) while introducing the villain of the piece, is unsurprising.

And, really, that's all I can say about the comic. The main character, Ayaka, gets an invitation to a paranormal conference in New York, and gets on a plane to go there. Meanwhile in New York, a bespectacled young man finds a strange book, and sets about opening a portal to....somewhere. Where, we may never know, because this is the only issue of the series I have, and the publisher is so obscure (I'd never heard of "Panime Comics" before this comic) that I may never find another issue.

But them's the breaks. Onward!

No comments: