Pages

Dec 8, 2016

The 40 Years of Comics Project - The Weekly Graphic Novel: Week 31 - Doom Patrol: Planet Love

http://www.comics.org/issue/867864/

Oooo...I've dropped the ball on the graphic novels. Apologies.

I think the problem is that I don't want to spoil anything in this volume, at all. It's the end of what I consider to be the greatest sustained superhero story ever, and it's a fantastic ending.

So what do I say?

Morrison ends his run on the title with something that could actually have been the end of the Doom Patrol's story. This being comics, that's not the case, of course, but if you get to the end of this series and have no desire to keep reading about these characters, it's just about one of the most perfect endings to so ridiculous a story. However, should you decide to keep going, the Pollack, Arcudi, Giffen, and now Way, runs are worth checking out.

I suppose, then, the nice thing is that you don't have to. That's one of the aspects of this run that really makes it stand out. There's very little you need to know about the team prior to this run, and you don'r really need to follow their adventures after this run. It's so rare in extended superhero comics stories that we get a story that follows the trajectory of a narrative, has satisfying conclusions, and doesn't shame you into getting everything else ever published featuring these heroes. Not that that stopped me, but I never felt like I had to, just that I wanted to.

There is a better world.

Onward.

No comments: