Pages

Nov 17, 2016

The 40 Years of Comics Project - Day 631: Backlash #6, March 1995

http://www.comics.org/issue/327327/

Backlash's quest to restore his lady-love and defeat the Daemonite S'yrn comes to a conclusion in today's issue. With the help of his pals in Wetworks and WildC.A.T.s, Slayton corrals the warlord, gets the technology he needs, and wakes Diane from her coma. Much, of course, to the smitten Taboo's chagrin.

I am glad to see the end of this story, as it means that perhaps we'll get some more interesting, or less-canonically motivated, stories in future issues. Backlash seems to me to be one of those characters who is just dying to break away from the grittiness of his world and origins, and I would love to see the creators take a chance with him. That said, it's a comic from the early 90s, so I'm not holding out too much hope. Comics from that era surprise me only seldom.

This issue does have one of the more brutal depictions of a Daemonite execution. I know they're evil lizard-y things, and we're supposed to dislike them, but Backlash mists his way inside S'ryn, and then bursts out of him like an Alien (ironic, given what happens to Stormwatch a few years hence), ending the creature's threat. Image comics are brutal, occasionally.

I'll keep on with Backlash, at least for a few more issues. I'm curious to see where these characters go. Onward.

No comments: