Pages

Nov 10, 2016

The 40 Years of Comics Project - Day 624: Space Beaver #2, January 1987

http://www.comics.org/issue/289702/

Yes, it sounds like a naughty comic. But it's not. In the tradition of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Space Beaver is a hard-boiled sci-fi comic that I picked up in a quarter bin last week. And it turns out it's a very early work by Darick "Transmetropolitan" Robertson. And it's pretty great.

As I read through, I was trying to see in this art the finely detailed work that made Warren Ellis's seminal sci-fi series so lovely to look at month after month, but the art style is remarkably different. We see these kinds of things occasionally, though more often than not there's a through line in an artist's work. Early Kirby isn't exactly the same as late Kirby, but there's similarities. I don't see them here, which is kind of fascinating.

The other cool thing about this comic is that, unlike many indie comics in the 80s, it lasted for a fair number of issues. I'm curious to see where it goes, should I actually be able to find any more issues. Oooo...the hunt it on!

Onward.

No comments: