Pages

Oct 21, 2016

The 40 Years of Comics Project - Day 604: DC Silver Age Classics - Action Comics #252, May 1959/1992

http://www.comics.org/issue/277988/

There's a few comics from the Golden and Silver Ages that I would gladly acquire, had I the resources. I've often said that if a ridiculously large lottery win was ever mine, Action Comics #1 would be amongst the first things I'd get. I think I'd have to add #252 to the list - my affection for Supergirl, in all her incarnations, grows as the new TV show continues to knock it out of the park.

Having watched the most recent episode (and ranted, briefly, about how great it was on Facebook), I thought I'd read the Maid of Might's origin story, as presented here in this reprint series. It's likely not a coincidence that this issue of Action also features the first appearance of Metallo, who is the featured villain in the latest Supergirl shows, but now I want to go back to the episodes and see if there's a sly Congorilla reference somewhere.

The lead story in this issue is notable for Metallo's first appearance, but other than that it's a bit lame. Corben is kind of a cardboard cut-out villain, and I'm amazed that as a staple of the Superman comics he's lasted so long. His gimmick (the Kryptonite heart) is a good one for a one-off story, but he's now been a thorn in the Man of Steel's side for more than 50 years. Supergirl's origin story is a good one, introduces the Kryptonian survivors of Argo City, and gives us a moment that was nicely captured in the recent television show of the two Kryptonians realizing their bond and how important it is. It's quite lovely to see that that has been a primary notion in the mythology from very early on - the loneliness that such beings feel, and the relief of connection.

As with Superman, if you want to read some really great Supergirl stories, see if you can track down the issues of Supreme that Alan Moore wrote that feature Suprema, the Girl of Our Dreams. Well worth a look. Onward!

No comments: