Pages

Oct 12, 2016

The 40 Years of Comics Project - Day 595: X-Men #2, November 1991

http://www.comics.org/issue/50385/

When I sat down to read my comic this morning, and I was gently peeling back the tape that holds the bag closed, I started to smile. I was actually quite excited to read an X-Men comic. I know I was quite harsh about this "new" X-Men series yesterday, but it seems the nostalgic, 14-year old self that resides just below my adult surface was quite chuffed to be reading the X-Men.

That said, I'm certainly not going to retract any of the statements I made yesterday. The comic is still rife with flaws. I'm not sure why Lee and the artists who accompany/follow him think that adding so many lines to each face and costume make them seem more realistic. From what I can tell, most humans have fairly smooth skin. And don't speak, constantly, from between gritted teeth (the Liefeld Effect).

What I do really like about this comic is the characterization of Magneto. Here, I think, Claremont has established a really cool interpretation of the character, and one that offers a view of where the current cinematic version of the character springs from (I can't comment on the current incarnation in comics, as I haven't followed X-Men comics for many years). Magneto is always at his best when he's allowed to be pure in his beliefs. For example, in this comic, he still cares nothing for humanity, but he's completely chagrined over battling the X-Men, who he sees, if not as equals, as fellows. He fights them reluctantly - something that the X-Men don't seem to grasp, with the possible exception of Rogue.

It's nice to see that relationship, as well, as it was one of my favourite parts of the Age of Apocalypse. I hadn't realized it was something that had been established earlier.

Anyway, looking through the collection, I have the run of numbers 1 to 8 of this title, so we'll make our way through and see what the hubbub was about. Onward.

No comments: