Pages

Sep 14, 2016

The 40 Years of Comics Project - The Weekly Graphic Novel: Week 24 - Battle Vixens v.4, October 2004

http://www.comics.org/issue/315678/

I think it's virtually impossible to ignore the booty above this sentence, so if it's your wont, go ahead and have a good look. I'll wait. (To be honest, this book's been sitting next to my bed for a few weeks as I read through it, so I've been waking up some mornings and seeing those well-rendered buttocks first things which, some days, is pretty okay.)

So, whether I'm fooling myself or not, I'm now convinced that the fan service that made me cringe at this title initially is actually being used as a not-so-subtle critique, mainly of a particular variety of men. Every time someone mentions breasts or panties in this series, that person is, in general, summarily thrashed by a boss-ass woman who gives absolutely no fucks. It's really pretty great. I'd compared the meshing of sex, violence, and ridiculousness in this series to the phenomenal Kill La Kill, and the comparison holds - a fact for which I'm very grateful. Shiozaki is obviously weaving a very intricate story here, and I'm fascinated to see where it goes.

Unfortunately, I may not be able to follow it all the way to the end at the present time. While I've got 12 volumes of the series, the four remaining volumes published by Tokyopop are long out of print, and are proving difficult to find even on Amazon. Add to this the fact that the Japanese version is up to 22 volumes, but there appears to be no English translations of the later books.

Off to start learning Japanese....that's not too hard, is it?

No comments: