Pages

Sep 5, 2016

The 40 Years of Comics Project - Day 558: Weird Western Tales #34, May-June 1976 (Western Week, Day 1)

http://www.comics.org/issue/29819/

Sorry. Promise I'll catch up some time in the next couple of days. But welcome to Western Week!

I'm not entirely certain what was Weird about this story. It was a pretty straight forward tale, reading in a lot of ways like a short passage from Blood Meridian, though with less profanity and brutality. Hex runs afoul of a dishonest bounty hunter, and gets his revenge.

That's it.

I've noted many times before this that Westerns are not my favourite genre of storytelling, but I'm trying this week to keep an open mind. What's kind of cool about this issue is that it was written by Michael Fleisher, the person responsible for the excellent DC Encyclopedia series from the seventies. Though, I have to say it, perhaps he's a better archivist of comics than composer of them. That, however, is a judgment I should suspend until I've actually read a few more of his stories.

This one, though, was kind of meh. A slow start to Western Week, I guess. Onward!

No comments: