Pages

Jul 4, 2016

The 40 Years of Comics Project - Day 496: Batman: The Return of Bruce Wayne #2, July 2010

http://www.comics.org/issue/758087/

Can't think of much to say about this comic - Frazer Irving's art is, as always, beautiful, and Morrison's writing is Morrison's writing. I feel like I might be hitting my Batman saturation (Baturation?) point, as the prospect of reading through the rest of the return story is not a welcome one at the moment. Or maybe it's just this morning. Or I wish Bruce wouldn't return, so Dick Grayson can be Batman forever.

(See what I did there?)

Okay, so this issue is a cool treatment of colonial-era America, rife with buckled hats and accusations of Devil worship. While I'm sure that these things happened at the time, I find it interesting that, through such works as The Scarlet Letter, this kind of behaviour is what's become emblematic of that period. And, honestly, having read a fair bit of literary output from the era, it's really pretty indicative. The other nice part of this issue was getting to see Bruce flex his detective muscles, rather than his combat muscles like in the previous issue. There are some skills that are relevant, and important, no matter what time period you've been displaced to.

Onward.

No comments: