Pages

May 9, 2016

The 40 Years of Comics Project - Day 440: Batman #658, December 2006

http://www.comics.org/issue/292894/

I know I came down pretty hard on Andy Kubert's artwork yesterday, so I'll start off today making up for that. There's one panel in this issue that captures a lovely emotion on the face of a character who, to this point, has been at best obnoxious, and at worst psychopathic.


The panel in question is that bottom one. Having just discovered that his father has a rocket, in which they're going to travel across the Atlantic Ocean, Damian Wayne realizes exactly what it means that his father is Batman. And that smile means he loves it. I think it's a desire of any father to inspire that kind of happiness in his child, for the child to, even just once, realize how wonderful it is to have the father that they have.

I'd forgotten how this issue ended. And I can't for the life of me remember how things progress from here, which is actually a lovely feeling to have. Publication-wise, Morrison and company take a break for a few issues (which I never bothered getting), and then return, as we will tomorrow, with a very cool text story about the Joker and Harley (the real Harley, not the Arkham Asylum version) (I just did that disparaging alpha-geek thing, didn't I? Sorry.). Onward.

No comments: