Pages

May 5, 2016

The 40 Years of Comics Project - Day 436: Haunted Tank #5, June 2009 (War Week, Day 7)

http://www.comics.org/issue/555827/

War Week ends on a sort of confusing note. This is the last issue in a Vertigo limited series reimagining the Haunted Tank in one of the ludicrous conflicts in the contemporary Middle East. It's hard to gauge the tone of the comic - I don't really know the characters or their situation, and this issue is definitely some kind of denouement to a much longer story.

But there's some glimmers of thinking through the nature of global conflict, of the ramifications of the imperial projects of both the British and the United States. And the art is pretty great.

Without the first four issues, though, I can't say whether this was a good comic or a bad one. It was part of a story. That's about all I've got.

(But then I've also really hurt my back - again - and I don't want to type much.)

Not sure where we're heading tomorrow. Maybe back to Bionicle, but maybe on to something completely different. See you then.

No comments: