Pages

Mar 23, 2016

The 40 Years of Comics Project - Day 393: Alpha Flight v.1 #14, September 1984

http://www.comics.org/issue/39090/

Ah, nostalgia.

Not that I have ever been pulled beneath the waters of Lake Ontario by a 40000-year old alien life form.

There's a scene in this issue where Heather and Puck are strolling along through Ontario Place, the Cinesphere in the background. I remember doing this as a young boy, with my parents and brothers. I'm pretty sure my Mum and Dad still have the caricature we had done of me up on their wall somewhere. When asked what I wanted to be when I grew up, I, unsurprisingly, said a superhero, and thus was immortalized with a giant, caricature-head and little tiny Superman body. It's still what I want to be when I grow up.

Of course, then the scene shifts to Calgary, and the excavation and recreation of Fort Calgary, a project that is still ongoing today. And my nostalgia shifts to a fondness for my current home. I'm not sure if it's the identification with the country or the stories themselves that are starting to pull me in (much like Heather up there on the cover), but Alpha Flight is finding its footing. I don't know why I should be surprised by this. It often takes a series a few issues to figure out where it's going. And, finally, I'm quite interested in tagging along.

Onward!

No comments: