Pages

Feb 15, 2016

The 40 Years of Comics Project - Day 356: Faust #1, 1989

Hidden behind the break. Warning, there's really quite truly graphic violence.




http://www.comics.org/issue/290714/

Faust was infamous when I was first into comics. It's rampant brutal violence and brutal sex were legendary in those halcyon days before the Internet. None of my local comic stores carried it, as far as I knew, and the occasional glimpse I did catch was from someone who's older brother had picked it up for them.

There's an interesting relationship between legend and reality. I think it really all depends on the perspective from which you view a story. From my current perspective, this is possibly the most grossly adolescent power fantasy nonsense comic ever. I'll cop to Vigil having an amazing command of pen and ink. If it weren't for the subject matter, this might be a beautiful comic. But it's not.

I've got a second issue, but I think I'll leave that for the time being. There's a story there, somewhere behind the T&A and blood-dripping claws. It might even be a good story. It's just hard with all this blood flying everywhere.

No comments: