Pages

Dec 1, 2015

The 40 Years of Comics Project - Day 280: The Infinite Loop #1, April 2015

http://www.comics.org/issue/1353598/

I can't tell you why I picked up The Infinite Loop earlier this year. It's probably something to do with my love for a good time travel story. It's probably also something to do with Elsa Charretier's pseudo-Bruce Timm style, an aesthetic that I absolutely adore.

I can tell you, however, what kept me coming back: it's a bloody good story. There's time travel, reality paradoxes, zealous agents, endearing rebels, and some big, unabashed queer love. Reality maintenance agent Teddy falls in love with a gorgeous, purple-haired woman who appears as a time paradox, and goes on the run with her love from the agency for which she works.

I don't want to say too much about the story, because I think it's quite a lovely one that you should go and read. The artwork is beautiful, and the characterizations of the people we meet are really nicely fleshed out. I know that Marvel and DC have started to take little tiny strides toward a more representative gender diversity, but it's really nice to see a smaller company like I.D.W. presenting a no holds barred queer love story.

I will say, however, that the one thing that sort of irked me about this comic was, and continues to be, the top of the letter page. The creators of the comic are very interested in this being a place where queer people can come together, can talk about love and their experiences, but something about it seems really forced. I'm probably just being particular about the language used because, well, that's what I do and it's really hard to turn off. I'm not saying it's disingenuous in any way - in fact, I'm sure it's not. It just sounds...awkward. But maybe that's because it's just not something we see very often in comics, or on a letters page in a comic, and that awkwardness is just the birth pang of something important finding its way into the medium.

The series runs 6 issues, and if I can track down the last one some time in the next week or so, I'll give a full rundown of the series. See you tomorrow for issue 2.

No comments: