Pages

Dec 15, 2015

The 40 Years of Comics Project - Day 294: Mighty Mouse #164, July 1965


I'll always pick up a Mighty Mouse comic when I see one for cheap. The 90s Marvel series is hilarious and clever, and a few of the older ones I've read a quite weird and sinister. Sadly, such is not the case with this issue. The stories are both pretty formulaic, and actually depict Mighty Mouse as kind of psychotically violent. Though ostensibly a riff on Superman, the Mouse of Might has very little compunction over killing the "Bird of Doom" on the cover, even though it was an innocent creature put to use by MM's nemeses.

I will spare a few words for the second feature, in which Mighty Mouse patrols a jungle, saving "innocent" creatures from the more violent ones (though technically he's starving the poor python and crocodile). The worst part of this story is the horrendously racist depiction of the natives in the jungle. Stuff like this just makes me uncomfortable.

There is one panel in this issue that really struck me. It's just a really nicely laid out, and offers some nice emotion and atmosphere.


I should have noted that this comic came from a batch of dollar bin stuff I picked up on the weekend. I'm going to blog my way through it for the next few days.

No comments: