Pages

Nov 11, 2015

The 40 Years fo Comics Project - Day 260: DC Special Series #14, 1978


Okay. So maybe today's comic wasn't completely random.

I knew I had this comic kicking about somewhere.

Two things occur to me: first, until I had a look at that issue yesterday, I had no idea that this comic was called DC Special Series. I'd always had it filed under Original Swamp Thing Saga. Oops.

Second: I'm not sure if I've explained the format of my storage collection. I commented on perhaps getting something from the latter parts of the alphabet, and that's because I only have drawer boxes up to the letter I. After that, it's all traditional boxes, piled atop one another, and my back isn't what it used to be. I'm working on upgrading.

This comic was really amazing. Just like yesterday. I get it now. I see why the series is revered. It's nice when something like that happens. The last time I tried it, I was disappointed, or at least not interested enough to continue collecting Marvel's recent re-release of Miracleman. I'm sure I'll read it eventually, but it just didn't grab me, considering its legendary status. Swamp Thing, on the other hand, has. The only other issue I have of this original run is #12. I think I'll leave it at that, and then hopefully stumble across some more reprints in a dollar bin one day. Never doubt the dollar bin!

One thing I would like to note about this comic: it introduces Abigail Arcance, a fixture in the Swamp Thing titles, and it is beyond obvious that Bernie Wrightson just adores drawing her. Leaving aside some remarkably gravity-defying breasts, his attention to her hair throughout this comic (which is actually a compilation of the original run's #3 and #4) is stunning. Sometimes it's waving and blending into the backgrounds, sometimes a sleek mane, sometimes a wavy veil over her face. It's not often you see so much attention paid to hair.

Okay, tomorrow something random for sure. See you then.

No comments: