Pages

Sep 21, 2015

The 40 Years of Comics Project - Day 209: Weapon X #4, June 1995


2 issues to go. As with yesterday's issue, this was a bit of a set-up issue, though slightly more exciting and interesting that the Amazing X-Men's final flop. Weapon X has been a bit of a weird one, in that I haven't really found the story to be particularly intriguing. It's like it's happening out in the distance, away from all of the other series that are intrinsically linked together, and as a result it feels...well, distant, like I said. I suppose it is because the Weapon X story isn't one of Magneto's plans. It's the plan that's going to happen if Magneto fails. So, in some ways, you're really hoping that Wolverine's plan will fail. Reading a comic that's ostensibly about a hero in which you hope the hero fails is a weird thing.

It could also be that, coming up to the end of the crossover, I'm just about done with the X-Men for a little while. This era, and I expect some argument here, is certainly not the best era of the X-Men, though it is beloved by some. I mean, look at that cover. I get that Wolverine's a berserker and all, but he looks like he's made out of snakes. And kind of resembles a dog chewing an Eat More.

Okay. I think it's time for me to move on from this. Tomorrow is the second issue of X-Universe, which, based on the previous issue, I don't have high hopes for. And after that is X-Men:Omega, which I'm excited for, not the least reason for which is that Mark Waid had a hand in it's creation. Onward.

No comments: