Pages

Aug 28, 2015

The 40 Years of Comics Project - Day 185: The Astonishing X-Men #2, April 1995


I'm a bit late today, and I'm afraid it's going to have to be a short one. One of the most impressive things about this crossover is that the creators have somehow made us feel every bit as close and protective of the X-teams in this universe as we do about the ones in the prime timeline. Case in point, today's issue features a very tender moment between Sabretooth and Blink, two characters who have little to no emotional engagement in the prime timeline. However, the scene between the two is as heartfelt, as engaging, as any moment between Wolverine and Jean Grey, or Colossus and Kitty Pryde. The question this raises for me, and one that I have no good answer for, is whether or not the emotional engagement I feel is because of the characterization of the two, the use of sentimental language to pull at particular heartstrings, or if it's because these two are X-Men, and that that in and of itself means something important, means that they are a particular type of hero, and I feel for them because of that.

That's all for today. See you tomorrow.

No comments: