Pages

Aug 24, 2015

The 40 Years of Comics Project - Day 181: Factor X #2, April 1995


After the explosive climax of the previous issue, this one is more about picking up the pieces. We're re-introduced to Lorna Dane, aka Polaris, who somehow seems to know this universe's version of Havok. I'm sure that will be explained down the line, aside from the casual reference to her being mentally unstable in this issue.

I was right, however, about Cyclops' noble nature taking over, as he assists the aforementioned Ms. Dane in escaping the slave pens in which uncooperative mutants find themselves. Sadly, at the end of this issue, his betrayal is witnessed by Havok. I'm sure fraternal hi jinks will ensue in the next issue! This particular iteration of the Summers brothers relationship really casts an interesting light on Havok, who has always felt overshadowed by Cyclops, though there have been the brief occasions in which he seems to have come into his own. Perhaps what we're seeing here is a situation in which both characters have come into their own, but are confined to a stifling milieu in which only one of them can actually flourish. The two always do best when they're on separate teams, where the competitive spirit isn't given a chance to blossom completely into vitriol. That we have the "Bedlam Brothers" as a contrast in this comic makes the Cyclops/Havok relationship all the more tragic.

A note before I end this very short review. I've started up a Twitter account linked to this blog. I don't know if it's even remotely worthwhile, but I guess we'll see. I'll tweet the daily comics and weekly graphic novels, and any other articles I happen to post. And then once I'm more comfortable with the format, maybe other bits and pieces of news and such.

We'll move on to another portion of the AoA tomorrow with X-Man #1. See you then.

No comments: