Pages

Aug 20, 2015

The 40 Years of Comics Project - Day 177: Weapon X #2, April 1995


Can I be honest? The next couple of weeks are probably going to be a bit patchy. The Fall semester is rapidly approaching, and I'm going to be teaching my first course as instructor of record, which means I have to prepare 3 lectures per week. They're only short lectures, but until I get a handle on them, I get the feeling they're going to take up a lot of my time. I'm scheduling a week off from the Age of Apocalypse during the orientation week for the semester (I'll leave it as a surprise as to what I'm planning on posting). Hopefully this doesn't deter anyone from reading, as I'll still try to be, at the very least, entertaining.

Today's comic: Blah. More Wolverine doing what he does best. It must have been a relief for the writers to finally just let Wolverine kill all sorts of people without too many moral compunctions. All it does for me is reinforce the one-trick pony that this character has the propensity to become. I think I'm enjoying non-Phoenix Jean Grey much more in this series than the titular character. I come to this comic with high expectations, though. Larry Hama, who scripts the series, is responsible for the amazing 1980s G.I. Joe comic. He took that series from simply a 22-page advertisement to a relatively gritty (for a kids' comic) war comic about international terrorism. The fall of Springfield storyline is still one of my favourites. I'm not sure, though, that I'm enjoying his take on Wolverine.

And one final thought, with regard to Adam Kubert's art: he's really good at facial expression, which I've found is a difficult thing to master in comics art. There's a panel of Jean Grey on the last page of this issue (which I'd show you if my computer and scanner were even remotely working) that has a beautiful expression of relief/disbelief/fear. That single panel, above all others, struck me as the best one in the comic.

That's all for now. See you tomorrow.

No comments: