Pages

Aug 19, 2015

The 40 Years of Comics Project - Day 176: Weapon X #1, March 1995


It must have been quite satisfying to set this series up and have Logan and Jean in a relationship without the pressure of the Summers/Grey drama. Not that I've ever necessarily understood the chemistry that is apparently so very powerful between Jean and Logan, but it's a part of the X-myth, so it's cool to see it played out in this alternate reality.

That said, I really don't like Wolverine. There. I've said it. I think he's probably the most overdone, overused character in all of comics, even more so than Batman. At least Batman is multi-faceted. Wolverine, as far as I can tell is a savage beast, sometimes, who is consistently "the best there is at what he does." Yawn. I've enjoyed Logan's forays into Japanese culture, and always thought that was a more interesting narrative arc for him, but the writers who've prominently had control of him have always seemed far more interested in the beast than in the warrior. Maybe that's just my lack of knowledge showing through, and I'd be happy if someone can point me in the direction of a good use of the character.

Of course, similar sentiments can be echoed about Jean Grey. Her alive/dead/alive again stories throughout X-history have become the subject of quite a bit of mockery. Jean's a good, solid character. It's a pity she had to become embroiled in all of the cosmic drama, as that seems to overshadow the fact that she's in love with two men, had psychic surgery performed on her at a very early age by Xavier (how did that play out in this reality?), has a grown, time-displaced child in present day. Again, it could be my lack of X-knowledge that is showing through, but I've always thought the more down to Earth stories would suit Jean, more than the Phoenix Force cosmic dramas.

Today's story sets the major events of the AoA into motion: the exodus of the remaining North American humans, the High Council's plan for nuclear retaliation, and the feud between Logan, Jean, and the Summers boys. It's still early days of the crossover, though, so I'm sure all of those things will not seem quite so straightforward in a week or so as they do now. I look forward to the confusion. See you tomorrow.

No comments: