Pages

Aug 17, 2015

The 40 Years of Comics Project - Day 174: Gambit and the X-Ternals #1, March 1995


Gonna have to be brief today. I'm quite sick. The cold I thought I was getting over had other plans. There's two things about this particular comic that I wanted to say. First, It annoys the crap out of me that they decided that each title had to have some clever use of the letter "X" in it. I know this is a thing for the X-titles in general, but X-Ternals, and X-Calibre are just silly. In a world where Professor X didn't really exist, why would everything, even teams that are ostensibly opposed to Magneto's, use his initial?

The second thing is to acknowledge that Marvel is playing a much more cosmic story here than they usually do. Or rather, they're doing what amounts to a DC-level cosmic story, but using the "down-to-Earth" approach to the characters that they've always been known for. It's kind of cool. Gambit and friends have to steal a crystal that is the Nexus of All Realities (I thought that was that swamp in Florida....), in order that Magneto can remake reality. It doesn't sound like the gritty kind of story we've become accustomed to seeing from Marvel, especially in the era in which AoA was being published. But I like the cosmic stories, so bring it on.

Okay. I'm going back to sleep now. See you tomorrow.

No comments: