Pages

Jul 19, 2015

The 40 Years of Comics Project - Day 145: Power Pack #18, January 1986 (Two Weeks From The Dollar Bin - Day 9)


I never really did get Power Pack. Much as, at the time this was being published, I was not that much older than some of the characters in the comic, I was much more taken with the older teens of The New Mutants. Power Pack seemed like a superhero comic for kids. Which might be exactly what it was, and that's not a bad thing. 15 year old me didn't think so.

This comic was actually on the ridiculous list I keep with me at all time, as it's a part of the crossovers for Secret Wars II. I've set myself the goal of getting all of the issues involved in that crossover, even though I know the whole thing has been published in a collected edition. Anyone who's tried to read one of those gigantic omnibuses, however, will know just how unwieldy such a thing can be when trying to read in bed.

That said, a lot of the crossover issues for the series (and, honestly, the series itself) were not that good, and I'm afraid this issue of Power Pack falls into that category. It could be because I have no external context for the story aside from its inclusion as a crossover, but very little actually seems to go on in this story aside from a fight with Kurse. Which, in and of itself, is not so bad, but I think I need a little more than 4 pre-teens beating up a Thor villain to satisfy my craving for superheroics.

Ah well. I guess they can't all be winners.

No comments: