Pages

Jul 12, 2015

The 40 Years of Comics Project - Day 138: What If?: Age of Ultron #2, June 2014 (Two Weeks From The Dollar Bin - Day 2)




I'm going to be honest: I really didn't understand what happened in this comic. I mean, I understood the story, the narrative that was conveyed. I like Joe Keatinge. His work on the revamped Glory was stellar. But this story was...confusing. Mainly I found it confusing because I'm really not sure what it had to do with the Age of Ultron series. It is the second issue in the series, so I'm willing to concede that rather than a series of one-shots, perhaps these What If's are telling a serialized story. I don't know because, though I own a couple of other issues, I read them ages ago and they didn't really stick with me.

So here's the things I did like: the characterization of the older versions of Hulk and Spider-Man were excellent. Really excellent. I absolutely adore the idea of the Hulk as zen master, finally gaining control over his rage, and, strangely, relinquishing his Banner persona and becoming a giant enlightened superhero. And Peter ending up as a family man is of course how he should end up, regardless of how things go in this story.

The art by Ramon Villalobos is cool and quirky, very much not in keeping with mainstream superhero art, and thus giving the book a somewhat unique feel. It reminds me of Seth Fisher's art in Flash: Time Flies and Doom Patrol, or even Rick Geary's style. According to my database, this is the only work I have by Villalobos, but I'll be keeping my eyes open in the future.

Not much more to say about this one. Nice art, nice story, not sure I got it. I guess that'll happen occasionally.

No comments: