Pages

Jul 9, 2015

The 40 Years of Comics Project - Day 135: Challengers of the Unknown #6, August 1991


I'm not particularly familiar with the Challengers of the Unknown. They've always struck me as more testosterone inflected version of the Fantastic Four. Kirby's creation of the two teams seems to vaguely support that. This series is interesting, though, as it is refashioning the Challengers' history, taking them out of the explorers of strange phenomena paradigm that they've been in since the 50s, and seemingly placing them more definitively within a superheroic universe.

Of course, that's what I get from reading a single issue three quarters of the way through a series. So I could be completely wrong, but I don't think so.

The Jeph Loeb/Tim Sale team has been quite a critical darling since their early work (of which this is a good example), though I occasionally find that I don't really like Tim Sale's art. I'm not entirely certain why, and I think perhaps it comes down to that ephemeral notion of taste. It's just not to my taste is all. Loeb's writing is not bad, kind of middle of the road superhero storytelling, though I've really appreciated his work on television series that I've watched. He does manage to bring his comic book sensibility to those shows, which works nicely for serialized, and often fantasy-based, television shows.

That's all for today. See you tomorrow.

No comments: