Pages

Jul 6, 2015

The 40 Years of Comics Project - Day 132: Animal Mystic: Water Wars #2, December 1996


The fact that the writer/artist of this series decided to go by the name "Dark One" in the credits says a lot about what this comic is like. Sirius Entertainment's titles have always struck me as being a kind of higher production value version of Aircel comics, in that there's lots of violence, lots of angst for the sake of angst, and lots of boobs. I'll admit, as far as this issue of Animal Mystic goes, the inside artwork owes more to Eastman and Laird than it does to publisher-mate Joseph Michael Linsner, but the comic is seriously 20 pages of battle. Perhaps if I'd read the previous series and issue, it would make more sense to me, but I feel like issue #2 of a series shouldn't necessarily be one long epic battle. It doesn't tend to leave much for the following issues.

What it does get me thinking about are the particular aesthetics tied up in particular publishers. Sirius was always one whose aesthetic was very consistent. The same with something like Avater Press, or Oni (though Oni, admittedly, is slightly more diverse than Avatar). I suppose at one point, the decision has to be made that a publisher will produce only certain types of comic, thus aiming at a particular demographic. I'm not entirely sure this makes sense to me. Surely if a comic is good, one might publish it in order to diversify one's audience. But my business acumen is what resulted in my comic shop shutting down and my living with bankruptcy for 7 years. What I have to say about business decisions to do with the comics industry should definitely be taken with a grain of salt. Or an entire salt shaker.

What more can I say of Animal Mystic: Water Wars? I read it. It was a comic. See you tomorrow.

No comments: