Pages

May 15, 2015

The 40 Years of Comics Project - Day 80: Miracleman #3, April 2014


It becomes more and more apparent (see what I did there ;P) to me that Alan Moore's run on Supreme is speaking directly back to this series. There are beautiful passages in Miracleman that try to imagine what it must feel like to be, basically, a god, but the undercurrent of menace at the foundation is chilling rather than celebratory. Supreme deploys much of the same kind of language and concern with one's history, but from that celebratory place. Where Mike Moran's investigation of his past and his powers seems to lead to a darkness, Ethan Crane's leads to a brightness. It may be that after I've finished off Moore's Miracleman, I'll have to re-read Supreme. And then maybe a book....

(Okay, article. Let's be realistic.)

I think, having said that, that I'm going to stick with blogging Miracleman, mainly because it's such an important piece of superhero literature, but I'm going to break up the various books. It's just too dark and intense to read on a daily basis, I think. Maybe it's just me, but I find myself particularly susceptible to being influenced by the tone of the things I read or watch or hear or play. I'll have to break the dismal Miracleman up with something lighter, happier.

Oh. Maybe I will read Miracleman and Supreme in conjunction for a little while. That might be really, really interesting.

Okay, last bit of book 1, "A Dream of Flying" tomorrow, and then on Sunday perhaps we'll dive headlong into Moore's Supreme. See you tomorrow.

No comments: