Pages

May 11, 2015

The 40 Years of Comics Project - Day 76: Li'l Genius #10, August 1956


This comic was pretty bad. Banal adventures of an obnoxious kid who doesn't really live up to the title of his comic. We also have a pretty thoroughly racist cover, and a final story about "Paco and Pico" that I can't quite decide if it's being racist or hearkening back to some American Regionalism with its use of dialect. Though I suppose the two are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

Here's the interesting thing. At the top of the first page, next to a big Comics Code Authority seal, is the following text:

"This seal of approval appears only on comic magazines which have been carefully reviewed, prior to publication, by the Comics Code Authority, and found to have met the high standards of morality and good taste required by the code."

There's a bit more, but I think that's the salient amount for us to be able to appreciate the irony. Again, look at that cover. Morality and good taste?

As much as I've enjoyed my stack of reading copies from the fifties, I can't recommend this one. The stories are just boring, and the art's kind of mediocre. Except that last story. The art's pretty good in that.

Okay, back to work for me, I'm afraid. I'll become more verbose in a couple of days when I'm done writing my exam. See you tomorrow.

No comments: