Pages

May 10, 2015

The 40 Years of Comics Project - Day 75: Archie's T.V. Laugh-Out #76, June 1980


(I feel like I just did this. No more late-night posts....he said hopefully.)

Another short one today, I'm afraid. I'm coming up to the due date on my exams, and it's really taking all of my concentration.

Two things occur to me about this comic. First, according to the publication date, it was on the news stands when I first set foot in Canada, so that's kind of neat. Second, reading Archie stories and Sabrina stories is a completely different experience now, having read Afterlife With Archie and Chilling Adventures of Sabrina. It's an interesting perspective from which to consider these earlier comics, in that they constitute the characters' history behind the Afterlife series. Weird.

This wasn't my favourite Archie comic I've ever read. I picked up some early fifties reading copies of Archie stuff a few weeks ago, and they were strange and amusing, though part of me wonders if some of the entertainment value is the cultural distance. That said, there's a Little Archie story in this issue where the teachers a Riverdale Elementary imagine what it would be like if the kids were the teachers, and it's very odd to see little Betty's head on Miss Grundy's body.


You're welcome.

See you tomorrow.

No comments: